Sometimes, you don’t need preamble. Sometimes, you need someone to give it to you straight.
This is for every writer on this whacked out planet.
• Your early work will suck.
• Your later work, in its early drafts, will still suck.
• No one cares about your writing unless you’re at (or near) the top of the New York Times bestseller list.
• Seriously. You could win the Pulitzer in literature and your friends would be, like, “Yeah, she’s writing or something boring like that. What a waste of time.”
• You cannot please everyone.
• YOU CANNOT PLEASE EVERYONE.
• So don’t try.
• Write for yourself. Failing that, write for one person.
• Listening to ten other people means ten extra people in your head when you write.